Posted on Leave a comment

New king to be crowned as Auckland’s long reign ends  – FIFA on GBP Sports

A new name will be engraved on the OFC Champions League trophy next month after a tense weekend of semi-final action that saw Auckland City’s seven-year reign finally come to and.

Team Wellington secured a 2-2 draw at Auckland City for an away goals victory following a scoreless first leg.

Fiji’s Lautoka are the other finalists thanks to a lone second-half strike from Praneel Naidu as Marist FC were edged on front of 12,000 fans in the Solomon Islands’ capital.

The headline drama was in Auckland as the FIFA Club World Cup regulars hosted Team Wellington, with the pair having met in each of the past three continental deciders.

Auckland’s City’s goalkeeper Enaut Zubikarai saw a remarkable 1079-minute run without conceding finally come to an end as Eric Molloy powered home a first-half header.

Incredibly it was two in four minutes for the capital club as Angus Kilkolly netted from the penalty spot.

A deflected free-kick saw Emiliano Tade pull a goal back with 14 minutes remaining, and Scott Hilliar drew the pair level on the day deep into injury time. 

But there was to be no winner for the nine-time champions, whose seven-year reign as continental club champions set a world record.

Auckland City finished third at the 2014 FIFA Club World Cup with a play-off win over Mexico’s Cruz Azul.

Lautoka will now meet Team Wellington in the home-and-away final visiting New Zealand’s capital on the weekend of 12 and 13 May, before welcoming their opponents to Churchill Park for the return leg a week later.

The winner will represent Oceania in the 2018 FIFA Club World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

⚽📺🍺🎉 Watch FIFA World Cup 2018 on GBP Sports

🎁🎁🎁 Refer your friend and get discount, check it out here! 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.